A Storm is Brewing!
Hurricane season is here. Have you had problems obtaining flood insurance? Have quotes been higher than expected? Much has changed recently. Below are a few tips to keep in mind:
- If you are purchasing a new home and the current owner has a flood insurance policy already in place, try to have it transferred. This is the quickest/easiest method.
- If the current owner does not have flood insurance, an elevation certificate is the only way to obtain a quote through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Try to obtain an elevation certificate from the previous owner. Otherwise, you will need to pay a surveyor for a new elevation certificate.
- Find a competent insurance agent. Flood insurance through the NFIP costs the same no matter which agent you have. But a good agent knows how to insure your property correctly. Many times people believe they were getting a better deal elsewhere, just to have their policy go back up after the policy is issued, after the NFIP reviews all documentation.
- Flood maps are being updated and flood insurance requirements are changing constantly.
- Don’t wait till a storm is coming. With few exceptions, there is a mandatory waiting period for flood insurance to go into effect.
Bankers Insurance does not have a call center. Each of our clients is assigned a personal agent in our office. There are many ways to get started on a quote:
- Call us at 757.442.6187
- opens in a new windowOnline homeowners quote
- opens in a new windowEmail or fax us the MSL listing
- opens in a new windowEmail or fax us an appraisal
Old, new, town, country, and waterfront – we do it all. We do much more than flood insurance: We quote with many insurance companies to ensure our clients have the best match for their particular needs. Call us with any questions or visit our opens in a new windowhomeowners insurance web page for more information.